The rantings and musings on teaching by a Science Teacher. Tales from the trenches from someone balancing the second year of teaching, and a family!

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Summertime and the living is Sleepy

Well the first full week of Summer has come and gone and man is it exhausting!
Here I am thinking that summer is all rest and relaxation, wrong-o!
Summer is the time for exercise to kick into full swing, for the outside home projects to get started and never finished, for the kiddos to swim and explore and play.
Man-o-man and with only one week of it I'm bushed!

Summer right now, at least for the few days is peppered with the lurking 'summer work' from school. Applied for during the year it's work that we can do when there's more time and we get to wear shorts. What it means is more time in school abeit without our young charges, plotting the options for their academic futures.
Friday ends the fiscal year and any obligations I have to work until the end of August.

I did also this week take a few minutes when it was fresh in my mind to begin to organize the pile that my curriculum notebooks became over the course of the year. See on day one all my master copies of all assignments, assessments, and other materials is all in one place, a notebook with all the pages in nice plastic page protectors. But alas as the term unfolds the sheets come out and they never quite make it back in, they do usually manage to make it to the notebook but never all the way back to the right place and plastic home. So it's my summer task to spread out each course onto the dining room table and put it back in it's place.
One side effect I've found is discovering that I have almost no memory of an entire course I taught just this past fall! (and am scheduled to teach again this fall!!)
It's coming back to me but I had a severe case of "Baby Brain" from September until about Christmas. I'm certain that this year's eager young learners will be substantially better taught than last year! It wasn't that I didn't know the material, or cover it in a thorough way, it's just looking back I'm not sure that I covered it clearly as much as I will this next time around. I suppose that's always going to be the peril of a new Prep, not knowing if I'm going to hit it all exactly right. I suppose I'll find out with this year's new Preps.

Stay Tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home