The rantings and musings on teaching by a Science Teacher. Tales from the trenches from someone balancing the second year of teaching, and a family!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ours

Teachers get really possessive of our young charges. Read other teaching blogs you'll see it in the language, like them or not, it's "my kids" "my students" "my classroom".
We have to own it, to make them ours to be vested into their success. We may not like them but we own them.
That's part of why it hurts when the budget axe comes falling down. Cuts take us away from our kids, they take resources from them, maybe it's electives that we know our kids love to take, maybe it's a favorite teacher who is pink-slipped, because these hurt them they hurt us.
Our colleagues are not just our friends and co-workers they're favorite teachers of our kids.
The budget is not going my way at my current school. I'm outside the bubble, so I'm trying to make the most of my last 15wks there. Something will come up for me workwise but I'm not thrilled to have to settle into a new school, new staff, new policies. The thing that saves me in the back of my mind is that once I close that door when the bell rings, it's my classroom, it's my kids and that I can handle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home