The rantings and musings on teaching by a Science Teacher. Tales from the trenches from someone balancing the second year of teaching, and a family!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Some Children Left Behind

I heard a great mock-headline on the Radio show 'Whaddya Know' on NPR the other day.
It said that President Bush concedes to the Democrat majority that 'some children will be left behind'. I thought that was great. How can some children not be left behind? I need to keep moving forward. I've got a mixed range of ages and abilities and they've all got to be taught and take something from it, even if it's just for the short term. But do they? Not enough of them.
Is it me? I doubt it, that's not what I'm hearing from the guidance counselors, from other teachers. Is it fair to blame them? No I suppose they're just kids, growing up too fast in a fast moving world. But at some point, and it's got to be soon for some of them, it's time to fish or cut bait. I'm talking about my 10th grade Bio kids. Some are beginning to realize that, that these years count toward something, something beyond HS. College. Some feel that they are just HS kids and that their antics, their performance, it doesn't count, they're too young, it won't matter. News flash it counts, it all counts. Including next week's quiz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home